Tuesday, August 26, 2008

what about diptychs?

I won't lie- I can't remember the last time I've felt so blocked. Through my frustration I somehow managed to finish 2 paintings, but I'm having mixed feelings about them. I think they look okay but I had zero fun making them and I think I'm thinking too hard. I'm also trying to follow every suggestion from June which means these paintings are turning into something else entirely. Tonight I sat and stared at an empty
white panel for 2 hours before searching for more source material. I managed to find some obscure websites where people scan old photos. One of the photographers arranges his photos in diptychs like this one....

This really stands out to me, not only for the great lines between the 2 photos but for the fragmentation of time that it shows. It also somehow tells a story between the characters or speaks to 2 separate memories in one image. I'm going to make a few studies in the next few days and see if I can't combine an image this way. 

No comments: