Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blockage.

I've just about reached a breaking point. For weeks I've been making stuff that I hate without any sort of breakthrough. Last night I sat down with my notes from the last residencies and went back over everything. I know what the problem is: I'm making work that fits the suggestions of professors, advisors and mentors, and I'm not making what I want to make. What I really want to do is just paint, but time wise that is proving to be a problem because every bit of time needs to go to my idea. Tony suggested that I always ask the following question: What is the end result? What do I want to see when I'm done? I need to worry less about the process and start thinking thesis now, because if I keep putzing around hoping that an idea will come to me, things will only get worse. Maybe I need to starve myself for a week and go live in the woods until I see a vision. 

3 comments:

styx617 said...

yo stromberg, i hate when i run out of ideas for stuff. normally its with a paper or some other type of school work. But when i have trouble figuring out what to draw i normally change my environment. But if you just want to paint then why not do some really abstract painting that just looks like nothing. Because when you look at nothing in particular your mind will force it to become something more.

i have no idea just a ramble. Hope maybe in some way you can determine what the heck i was saying and that will help you out of your artistic rut. see ya tomorrow in class.

oh one more thing. i want to bring my guitar in to school would it be chill if i left it in your room?

anne baumgartner said...

Go ahead and get to that breaking point. I am looking forward to seeing what is on the other side. Now is your time to find out what Nate Stromberg does when he cannot find the familiar answer...You don't have to know the next part, you just have to show up and work.
I think you are in a good place. Keep at it.

brandon kuehn said...

Drugs are good for that! But seriously, Hannah has me looking at Grant Wood and Edward Hopper as well! Keep on keeping on...