Friday, October 8, 2010

Finally- New Paintings.

Even though it's been 5 months since I last posted anything here, I have been working hard on new work for my first solo show at the Hopkins Center for the Arts. The show opens Dec. 9 and runs to Jan. 9. I've been so busy working that I haven't been so good about shooting pictures. I'll try to get them uploaded here and to the online gallery on my website (nathanstromberg.com) as soon as I can. I'm tired, but the last few months have seen the best paintings I've made. I started back in the spring with some larger paintings in order to see how the photo-inspired images function on a larger scale.

"Yard Games" 2010

"Family Baggage" 2010

"The Bachelor Party" 2010

"Sunday School" 2010

"Drive" 2010

You might recognize the last one as I repainted one of my first 50s paintings from 2006 with the updated palette. Working larger was a fun experiment. The larger paintings certainly aren't as intimate as the smaller works, and are not so good at referencing the source photo, but they do allow me to loosen the brush strokes and paint differently, which had been a fun change.

Many more images to come...


1 comment:

Rob S. said...

Excellent, Nate! Congratulations on the upcoming show. The work looks really solid. What is the size (generally) on these? I just executed my biggest work yet (probably a mistake to do it now, considering the time factor), so it's interesting to hear you talk about scale. I agree that these are your strongest to date. For me, The Bachelor Party resonates the most. It has that entry point that calls to mind the lessons of Baldessari's work (you turned me onto that guy, remember?). Anyhow, I'm so happy to see this! Keep rockin' the linseed. -R.