Friday, August 10, 2012

Robert Hughes

I just read today that Australian art-critic Robert Hughes passed away at the age of 74... Robert Hughes was one of my favorite author/historians. He was a brilliant writer and he had a real gift for making art history come alive. I've read a few of his books, including his brilliant book on Goya from a few years ago. He also was featured as a talking head on basically every important art documentary, and his insights were always fascinating. I heard that he never really recovered from injuries sustained in a horrible car wreck a decade ago. In the "Goya" he relates that experience to Goya and his desire to cary on. I highly recommend "The Shock of the New" and the great BBC series about modern art.
You'll feel smarter for having given it the time-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2012/aug/07/robert-hughes-greatest-art-critic

No comments: