Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Art-a-Whirl / Rauschenberg

Last weekend was the Northeast Minneapolis Art-a-Whirl, where artists open thier studios to would-be art buyers. It's a pretty big event. I used the opportunity to check out a few possible mentors and get some ideas. I found 2 artists that may be possibilites, and had the chance to talk to the artists. There is a huge amount of crap art out there, and its always uncomfortable to walk into an artists studio with the artist sitting there waiting to see what you think. I got a few leads and feel much better about the whole mentor process going into residency #2.


On another note, I just heard that Robert Rauschenberg died last week. Rauschenberg made art out of everything and harnessed materials into pieces that were thought provoking, visually compelling, and completely original. I've always loved his work. It's a read snub at the notion of fine art that I find humorous and beautiful. In his later life he transformed the entire notion of printmaking as well. Art will never be the same after Rauschenberg.

No comments: