Sunday, May 11, 2008

New Painting- "The New Pastime"


Well, here it is: my first deliberate attempt at visual storytelling. Till now, I've left the images open ended with characters looking off into to space beyond the viewer, which allows for an open interpretation. This one has all the information self contained. I think the line with metaphor is a thin one- If I push it too far it could get stupid pretty quick. There's more to read into this image, but at the same time it might go unnoticed, which I think is great. I had a lot of fun composing this picture. The way the figures and furniture are situated created interesting shapes and movement through the piece. It was also a challenge to play with 3 separate light sources and different colors. It's not my favorite, but I'm pleased and it should lead to some interesting feedback. I'm interested to know what you think about it so leave me a comment if you have the time.... 

I'm moving very quickly to my next canvas painting as I've realized drying time is becoming an issue. I leave on June 19 for Boston, and my paintings from a month ago are still a little wet. I've got a lot of ideas so we'll see where I end up. More to come-

No comments: