Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Some Serious Blockage/New Mentor

I've been working hard to pull together all my thoughts from this last residency for the last few weeks, all in hope of arriving at some point of departure for the next semester. I left Boston with many good ideas, but have yet to decide a course of action. It's been very frustrating to feel that I need to be moving ahead with something now and I don't know what that is. To stay creative I've been filling up a sketchbook with little watercolor/ink drawings, studies for bigger paintings. I feel light years away from where I should be and that's pretty scary. I can't remember feeling so blocked before... 

On the positive side, I have decided on a mentor and things should work out great. Patricia Canney is a Twin Cities oil painter whose work I've seen around town at galleries and the Minneapolis Art-A-Whirl. In her recent work, she has concentrated a lot on groupings of objects with interesting shape and light. She also manages to harness a feel of past time, which of course is something I'm more than a little interested in. I'm questioning my route as a figure painter and I think working with her will be very beneficial. We'll hopefully have our first meeting soon. Here's a few of her images: 

     
                                          

1 comment:

Cynthia Hauk said...

Hey Nate! Glad to see you blogging, and I feel ya on feeling like you're just floating out there figuring things out! I'm sure your new mentor will help...and if this is the biggest block you've ever felt before - I'm actually really excited for you - because, directly afterwards is when your art grows the most!! (In my opinion, anyways)...

Oh, and I also wanted to say your smaller studies just to keep your creative juices flowing are fantastic! Totally different from all of the other work I've seen from you.. the space w/out the people totally changes everything, but even your handling of paint (and obviously the realism of these images in commparision) is refreshing to see.. I had no idea you could paint so well realistically! Awesome! Not that your art should go in that direction, but it's always good to have those skills, ya know? Anyways.. I was impressed and thought I'd pass that along. :) :)

I hope you're doing well! :)