Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New Image- "SMOKING LOUNGE"


Here's the first painting I've finished- It's a little larger than my last work at 18" x 24". When I think about my attraction to old photographs, it all boils down to the look. I saw this photo (which is a compilation of multiple photos) and was instantly drawn to the crazy bullet pod ashtrays, the goofy guy lounging in the back and the "modern" feel of something that was considered cutting edge in the 50's. The picture is of smoking car from a passenger train. Anyway, because the look is something I'm so drawn to, I've been looking for ways to push that look- Here I'm thinking about how far I can push it before it's too much. I may have overdone this painting with all the patterns and detail, but it was a good exercise. I've started a separate project of small fragmented paintings at the same time- I'll try to post some in-progress pics of those paintings soon. 

3 comments:

Max said...

Hey Stromberg it's Max. I like the blog and this painting is really cool! I like the guy lounging out a lot. I wish I could paint like that.

James R Hawkinson said...

Great job, Nate. I'm into reading your comments on Rockwell, too. Shades of Blanford days and his home town nearby.

Grandpa H

Mark Morelli said...

nate,

i don't think it's too much by any stretch. i like all those crazy patterns. it gives the painting a bit of absurdity which i like. it keeps it from feeling too reverent.

-morelli