Friday, March 27, 2009

Updates-

March has been a good month- I've been working long hours late at night in the basement on new work while continuing to refine my ideas. Most helpful was a great long weekend trip to New York with Kara. We pretty much walked for 4 days and saw as much as we could- It's been a long time since I was there, so visiting all the major museums was a real treat. I know there's so much more that I could have done and seen, but for a last minute get away it was just what I needed to get a little break from painting and recharge the creative battery.


I've been working on 2 separate bodies of work this semester- one which follows more of what I've been previously been doing with vintage snapshots and another that uses a grid of fragmented images. I've attached a few in-progress photos here. These boxes are 8 x 8" each and I've only made half the grid so far. My hope is to have at least 20 by semesters end, and more if possible with time. The idea behind it is a bombardment of cultural reference points, all of which stand out but also feed into the other images. I've been trying to really push the formal qualities of the work, and it's been a lot of fun to manipulate lines and colors in separate images so that they relate to the others... hopefully with these snapshots you can get a sense of what I'm trying to do. The colors are the under-painting layers that I usually do with ochre, cadmium red and a muted violet. My idea is to work them all with the same palette I've been using, but both my mentor and others who have seen the work think something new might be happening with the altered palette that's working- 

we'll see. 

            

1 comment:

anne baumgartner said...

Hi Nate - I like your direction and use of the grid - Have you read Rosalind Krauss' essay on The Grid?
If not, I would suggest you do before the residency -so you can dialogue about all the questions you'll get about the grid and its significance and meaning.
You can find the essay in the book -The Originality of the Avant-Garde and Other Modernist Myths - by Krauss. Keep up the great work - ab