Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Updated Reading List

I stumbled across a few 40$ books I needed on Half.com for $13 each, and now I am hooked. I've already updated my reading list with a few others I found. In learning more about imagery from the 50's and the meaning surrounding it, I'm going to read "Coast to Coast: A Journey Across 50's America" by Jan Morris and "A Kinder, Gentler America: Melancholia and the Mythical 1950's" by Mary Caputi. The later is a new book concerning the use of 50s nostalgia and the concept of "the greatest Generation" as a right-wing political tool for advocating the return to "Family Values". I can honestly say that I am very turned off to political connotations with my work, but I absolutely see the value in reading this book to understand how people respond to those images. I'm planning on doing an entire paper this semester on the look, style, history and meaning of the 1950's to today.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated....

On a completely unrelated note, my advisor Hannah Barrett recommended that I look into the work of Belgian artist Michael Borremans. I posted his name in the side bar of my blog along with other artists I'm researching, and the last week or two I've been getting emails from a guy named Wim in Belgium who came across the name on a google search. He's a close follower of Borrowmans, Tuymans, and other Belgian artists and has been sending me book titles, gallery information and all kinds of great resources. What a small world the web has made-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let's all join the Michael Borremans fan club !

Wim from Belgium