Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Image- "BOARDWALK"


Here's a painting that I've been working on for 2 months and just finished. I'm not super happy with it, but at this point I'm moving on. The image is from an old family photo and I found it pretty funny. The people were obviously posed to show the ocean but its such an unflattering photo. They seem almost disinterested, and the scenery isn't much at all- just a bar of color across the back and wooden boards. This is a poor photo, but shows a little bit of the new color palette I've been using; almost no ochre and instead dustier colors inspired by old color film. I still have 5 paintings in various stages of completion- more to come.

1 comment:

anne baumgartner said...

tres cool Nate -
I enlarged the photo of this painting on my screen and when I looked at the lower half of the painting I thought of Wayne Thiebaud - in the palette and paint handling - have you ever looked at his portraits (of humans, not food/items?) His use of line and edge is interesting.
Keep up the great work. anne