Saturday, November 8, 2008

New Image- "ORBIT"


After ditching a few total failures I've reevaluated some things and set a course. I have about 6 paintings at 50% complete, so my goal is to finish 1 a week into December. This carnival image was one that I made a study painting of back in February. Based on feedback both at the residency and on my blog it was one of the more successfull images. What the study painting has is an energy and gestural quality that changes everything. It's something that gets lost when I paint bigger and with thicker paint. I tend to over work things until they become a huge mess. That's been on my brain in finishing this painting. It isn't quite there for me yet, but getting it to this point feels good. Comments are appreciated.......

1 comment:

Mark Morelli said...

nate,

wow, that's very very good. i love the composition and the way so many of the figures are obscured. it gives the painting an ominous overtone that's really exciting. you're definitely on to something.

-morelli