Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Two very different kinds of suspense...


After spending a lot of time working on my recent paper, I watched 2 films to get back into creative mode. "Vertigo" is an amazing movie- to say Alfred Hitchcock was ahead of time is a gross understatement. The story, the characters, the way he structures a shot, the incredible opening credits and dream sequences- this movie is the complete package. It's every bit as exciting today as it must have been in 1958. It also features stunning on-location shots of San Fransisco, and I will definitely re-visit the film for specific stills I can use. As for "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", things couldn't be more different. It is everything Vertigo isn't, but at the same time, it really does represent everything about the 50s. The story is fast paced and filled with outlandish dialogue, but the look and feel is everything 50s. Even though it's very corny, I'm really glad I watched it. It's much better than a lot of B movies and is the definitive sci-fi film of the day.  

No comments: