Monday, March 24, 2008

Hopper and Homer in Chicago

I had a great Easter weekend down in Chicago with family and on Friday I went to see the Edward Hopper and Winslow Homer Watercolors show at the Art Institute of Chicago. It was a real treat. I've long been a huge fan of Edward Hopper's work, mainly for his attention to light and shape. I had seen many of Homer's watercolors in reproductions, but in person they were truly amazing. Homer's attention to detail with a fine pencil and skill with a brush is unbelievable. I've done a lot of watercolor work and could tell by the boldness of his brushstroke and the quickness and gestural quality of the painting that his skills were off the charts. Plus, Homer's work is much brighter than in reproduction and even more impressive the closer you get to the painting. 



Hopper's work is the exact opposite. When you first see his paintings from around a corner in a well lit space, they really do pop and take you completely by surprise. Upon closer inspection, they are very loose in brushstrokes  and look almost incomplete in places. I'm working now on my April paper on influential artists so this was a great exhibit to see at the perfect time.

No comments: