Wednesday, March 12, 2008

On the Waterfront



Watched the second of my vintage films last night- "On the Waterfront" starring Marlon Brando. What a great film. The composition of the shots and the lighting, the depth to each frame and the placement of the actors in glorious black and white.... It's a hard movie to pay attention to artistically because the acting is so beyond incredible you just get sucked in.... I was hooked from the opening shot. The famous "contender" scene in the taxi cab really has to be one of the greatest acting moments in film history. Also, there's a crazy atonal musical score by Leonard Bernstein that completely alters the mood and creates the tension where its needed. This picture won best picture and I can't believe I've never seen it. If you havn't seen it you should.

On another note, I have 3 more finished paintings on paper that I have yet to photo and post... hopefully they'll be up soon.

No comments: